"Disequilibrium is such a gift. It always reminds us how dynamic and fluid life is--the ebb and flow. Our external environment will always be in flux and our inner stillness and calm will be always there waiting for us--when we’re ready to return home." Renee Trudeau
We’re at a unique and unprecedented time in history. And my observation is that it’s challenging all of us to slow down and hit the pause button as we re-examine our life and career direction.
One of the things that I most enjoy about my job is the opportunity to travel around the world and speak at conferences/workshops to men and women of all ages about the topic of life balance.
One of the questions I often get (after I answer “what is it?” and “how do I find it?”) is “why is the topic of balance still so prevalent?” Pick up any business or consumer publication—from Fast Company to Real Simple—and you’ll find frequent references to balance, work/life alignment, navigating disequilibrium and how professionals can adapt to the rapid and daily changes we’re all experiencing.
I believe the convergence of six factors are causing increased stress and have brought the issues of balance to the forefront, including:
- 9/11 and other acts of terrorism—how people view life/work/family time changed forever after this tragedy
- 72% of all families are now dual-income (and in many households, the primary breadwinner is now mom)
- parenting our parents and the sandwich generation (caring for your parents and your kids)
- a volatile and uncertain economic and employment climate (an understatement!)
- digital overload: we've become a 24/7 culture, we’re always on and finding it more difficult to “unplug”
- globalization: working at “off hours” and living farther from family support
I share this perspective, not to overwhelm you (ok, take three deep breaths), but to encourage you to be easy on yourself and realize how much is going on right now for all of us--collectively and individually.
So, what can we do to enhance our sense of harmony and equilibrium during these chaotic times? Read more here about my strategies/insights for enhancing life balance from the inside-out. And consider the following homework for July.
Your July Self-Care Challenge: One of the most powerful ways to nurture yourself and help you feel more grounded is to get clear on what your self-care “non-negotiables” are. For some, it may be in the physical realm—8 hours of sleep a night, running three times a week, only eating out once a week—and for others it may be in the emotional or spiritual area— meditation/prayer every morning, a date with your partner every two weeks, scheduled time for play this summer, journaling before you go to bed at night or a weekly painting class.
This month I challenge you to pause. Notice what things consistently fuel and replenish you. And then carve out some time to share your top three self-care non-negotiables with someone close to you. Or, post these to our Live Inside Out community.
FREE LIFE BALANCE TELECLASSES, GROUPS & COACHING: Would you like some support in coming up with your top three self-care non-negotiables? Are you interested in being in a community with others who want to focus on reconnecting with who they are and how to make self-renewal a part of their everyday life? Download these great FREE Life Balance Teleclasses at your convenience, including our recent popular Cultivating Inner Peace in Everyday Life and learn more about joining or becoming trained to lead a Personal Renewal Group. Or, consider hiring one of our career/life coaches for one-on-one support.
Let us know how we can help you stress-less in your career and life.
Take good care--Renee and the RTA Team email@example.com 512-459-6700
P.S. Interested in hearing weekly tips on how to Live Inside Out or want to connect with me or other like-minds? Subscribe to and share your thoughts on my blog, The Journey and join our tribe on the Live Inside Out Facebook Fan page! And check out this new video “A Conversation with Renee on Living Inside Out.”
Upcoming Events and Training:
July 1-31 DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN NOW: Monthly Live Inside Out Teleclasses. Listen in the comfort of your home or office to Renee’s recent Life Balance Teleclasses. Download these inspiring, interactive calls; themes include: The Power of Self-Care, Owning Your Personal Power and Staying Connected to Your Partner.
July 1-31 Personal Renewal Group Online Facilitator Training Are you a therapist, coach, parent or birth educator, leadership consultant or women's empowerment advocate who loves supporting women and helping them nurture their emotional well-being? Join an international community and facilitate self-renewal groups/retreats for women based on the award-winning The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal. Learn more.
- June 6-July 28 Renee unplugs to work on a new writing project. Send her good thoughts, but not emails! (Truthfully, we welcome your inquiries—Renee has a wonderful team in place that will be happy to help you with any questions.)
July 29 Friday 9:30-Noon The Career Strategy Workshop: Find a Fit, Create a Plan, Love Your Work
A small, dynamic group-coaching workshop focused on helping you strategically map out your next steps and find work that is a “fit” for you. You will also receive support via our online Career Center, a complimentary coaching session and a subscription to the Career Strategist’s job leads service. **BONUS** receive a free DIY Job Search Toolkit (a $99 value) when you register by July 15th. Class size is limited. CLICK HERE to learn more/register online.
- August 25 7:30-8:30 p.m. CST
Live Inside Out Life Balance Teleclass with Renee Trudeau. The theme this month is:
Finding Your Flow: Balancing Being vs. Doing While Still Getting Things Done! Join women from around the world as we reconnect with who we are, cultivate self-compassion and learn to live more intentionally. Learn more and register here.
- October 14 - 16 , Friday-Sunday: Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: A Women's Self-Renewal Retreat, Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, The Berkshires, MA. Nurture and nourish yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually. Tap the Transformative Power of Self-Care. Led by nationally-recognized career/life balance expert, coach and author Renee Trudeau at beautiful Kripalu. Ideal for women in career/life transition. Details here. Our last Kripalu retreat sold out; register today!
November 2 Austin Women’s Conference, Austin, TX: Renee presents on The Transformative Power of Self-Care and provides the closing keynote/wrap-up. Learn more.
- Private Customized Retreats: Renee is masterful at creating/facilitating empowering half, full day or weekend workshops or retreats for companies, organizations and groups. You can learn more about private retreats here or about her speaking/workshop topics, here. Email Sara Bogan, events manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-459-6700 to check Renee’s availability.
You may reprint this newsletter in its entirety provided you include at the end: Renee Peterson Trudeau is a life balance coach/speaker and author of The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal: How to Reclaim, Rejuvenate and Re-Balance Your Life. You can download free book chapters, receive life balance tips or learn about upcoming events at www.ReneeTrudeau.com. Facebook: LiveInsideOut.
Subscribe here to receive Renee’s monthly life balance newsletter.