How do you react when you’re living in the unknown?
The majority of our clients, friends and colleagues—and my family--are all in some type of transition right now.
- Erin, the executive director of the nonprofit board I just joined, is waiting to hear on a large grant that could change the course of the organization forever.
- Ann and Jeff just received the shocking news that their unborn child has Down Syndrome and will need heart surgery within the first month after her birth.
- Nicole is interviewing for her first job out of school, is scared, feeling insecure and is unsure about what the fall will look like for her.
- Christopher is launching a business to support kids and is unsure what the model will need to look like to be profitable and support his young family.
- Doug and his family are unsure if his last round of chemotherapy will wipe out the latest cancerous cells they found in his small intestine.
- Mary and Greg are waiting to hear from a federal agency on whether they’ll receive the support they desperately need to assist their special needs child.
- Consultants Sonya and Joe are wondering when they’ll receive payment from their clients and if it will arrive in time to cover their mortgage this month.
- My husband John is in job search mode after being suddenly laid off a few weeks ago and is curious where he’ll land next. (Note: Stories are true, names have been changed with the exception of my husband.)
Living in the unknown can often be more uncomfortable for many of us than receiving actual “bad news” (i.e. news that is contrary to what we want!). It can conjure up the old “waiting for the other shoe to fall” feeling.
My husband and I were talking last night after we put our son to bed. We agreed that yes, it can feel fear-inducing to not know what your life will look like a few months from now and if you have enough reserves to cover your bills.
But, if you stay with this feeling for a while and find it, there is also a place within “the unknown” that is exhilarating, fresh and filled with potential and re-birth.
If you can move out of “paralysis by analysis,” living in the unknown can be an incredible opportunity for spiritual, personal and professional growth.
Feeling inspired by this revelation, John and I created the following list to help us remember to seek out the gifts during this time of uncertainty.
Living in the unknown can provide you with the opportunity to:
- Examine your values and explore life from the inside out
- Practice gratitude—being grateful for what you do have
- Define what happiness means to you (your answer may surprise you!)
- Identify your anchors and what you need to rejuvenate and renew
- Become more introspective; take time to look at your fears and barriers to success
- Pause and examine how you see things (do you play the “what if” up game or the “what if” down game; are you an optimist or a pessimist?)
- Build a support network and ask for and receive help
- Let yourself expand into an even better life/job/relationship/home/business than you ever imagined (read The Big Leap if this one grabs you!)
I am currently working on my next book. The theme is everyday spirituality: how to experience sacredness and connection to the Divine without going to a zen sanctuary or faraway retreat!
I have no idea how my project will turn out, which publisher I’ll choose or ultimately what format the work will adopt, but I am clear it will be leading me into a whole new frontier of possibility. And I am relishing the deliciousness of this voyage into the unknown!
How about you? Are you willing to explore the gifts that come from being in a state of limbo? I’d love to hear your thoughts on our Live Inside Out community.
P.S. Would you like support as you navigate the unknown? Join us in the cool Berkshire Mountains of Massachusettes for the Aug. 13-15 Women’s Self-Renewal Retreat at Kripalu (packages start at just $430) or our fall Self-Renewal Retreat at The Crossings.
If you’ve been thinking of joining our global community and leading women’s self-renewal groups as part of your business this fall, now is the time! You can use the code 50 OFF and receive $50 off through 7/31 only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-459-6700 with questions. Listen to a recent radio interview on the groups here.
Upcoming Training, Retreats and Events
July 1-31 DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN NOW: Monthly Live Inside Out Teleclasses. Listen in the comfort of your home or office to Renee’s recent Life Balance Teleclasses. Download these inspiring, interactive calls; themes include: The Power of Self-Care, Owning Your Personal Power and Staying Connected to Your Partner. Join us July 15th for Renee’s FREE class on Everyday Spirituality. Register here.
JULY 1-31 Sign up to be a Personal Renewal Group Facilitator! Are you a coach, parent educator, birthing professional, counselor or women's empowerment advocate who wants to grow their business and loves helping women nurture their emotional well-being? Learn more about becoming a PRG Facilitator and join an international community of leaders who are changing women's lives through powerful life coaching groups centered around The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal.
July 15 7:30-8:30 p.m., CST.
FREE Live Inside Out class via telephone with Renee Trudeau. Theme: Nurturing Your Spirituality. Join author/life coach Renee Trudeau and women from around the world in a "virtual living room" as we explore how to live life from the inside-out. Register and receive details here.
- August 13-15 Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: A Woman’s Self-Renewal Retreat with Renee Trudeau at
Kripalu Retreat Center - Lennox, MA. Come reconnect with who you are and nourish your body, mind and soul in the cool Berkshire Mountains of MA at this world-renowned holistic retreat and yoga center. Packages with lodging/meals/classes start at just $440. Click here for details and to register.
- August 27 9:30 a.m. - noon
The Career Strategy Workshop: Find a Fit, Create a Plan, Love Your Work
A small, dynamic group-coaching workshop focused on helping you strategically map out your next steps and find work that is a “fit” for you. You will also receive support via Renee’s online Career Center and a subscription to the Career Strategist’s job leads service. **BONUS** register by Aug. 10 and receive a free DIY Job Search Toolkit (a $99 value). Class size is limited. CLICK HERE to register online. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- November 5-7 Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: A Women's Self-Renewal Retreat The Crossings Spa & Resort, Austin, TX Nurture and nourish yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually. Led by nationally-recognized career/life balance expert, coach and author Renee Trudeau at the luxurious Crossings Spa & Resort. Ideal for women in career/life transition. Commuter options available. Details/register here.
- Did you know Renee travels around the world speaking to corporations, organizations and at national conferences on life balance, self-renewal (and other related topics)? Learn more about having Renee speak at your next event, workshops or conference. We're scheduling 2010-2011 events now.
- Visit our online calendar to learn about upcoming self-renewal retreats and events.