Sometimes I feel like a broken record, constantly advocating the benefits of self-care and how it has transformed my life over the last ten years.
But this past week confirmed that this message is one we all need to hear, over and over again.
I recently led several classes for male and female entrepreneurs at all life stages on how to work less and experience more (I call this approach the Empowered Entrepreneur —a topic I’m very passionate about).
Toward the end of these programs, after covering a lot of essential ground related to running a small business, I touched on the importance of self-care. And, interestingly, this arena is where the most lively, passionate, emotional dialogue erupted—among both men and women.
They all seemed to grasp that self-care—cultivating an awareness for and responding to their physical/emotional/spiritual/mental needs—was fundamental to their well-being. And, they understood intellectually that they couldn’t build a business—much less function—when they were exhausted, harried, out of synch with themselves and running on empty.
But, were they ready to change their behavior and mindset to be more compassionate, nurturing and responsive to their deepest needs?
My ah-ha moment and initial motivation to learn more about self-care (read The Transformative Power of Self-Care from my book), came after having my son and realizing how vital it was for me to teach him to honor and nurture himself—something my sweet mother who battled depression most of her life, was never able to teach me.
What will it take for you to make this shift? Consider the following “gifts from self-care.”
When we renew ourselves by attuning and responding to our needs:
• We feel more generous and can avoid building resentments toward others who demand our energy and time.
• We naturally feel more loving, which makes us better friends, partners, parents and more enjoyable to be around!
• We validate and honor our own worth, our essence, which naturally enhances confidence and self-esteem and lowers susceptibility to depression and anxiety.
• We feel more alive and whole; we’re able to function at our best and do more of the things we want to do.
• We renew and restore our energy supply and create energy reserves so we’re able to weather unforeseen challenges more easily.
• We’re more present and calm; we can respond wisely, intuitively and effectively to a variety of circumstances.
• We begin to step into our personal power (realizing our potential), which is our birthright.
• We feel good on the inside, which leads to looking good on the outside. Nurturing your essence—inside and out—promotes well-being and vitality.
MARCH SELF-CARE CHALLENGE:
I invite you for the next thirty days to begin to become aware of how you’re feeling and what you need. Try a quick body scan before you even step out of bed in the morning. Just lie there for a moment and check in with your physical and emotional health. Are you overscheduled, do you need to lighten your load? Do you need to move your body or spend more time in nature? Are you dehydrated or are you eating something that is not enhancing your energy level? Do you need to say “no” to something or ask for help? Do you need to build in a day or evening to just rest (A radical concept, I know!).
I have been focusing on self-nurturance for ten years and I still have a long way to go.
But, hands down, this has been the most life-changing spiritual practice I have ever embraced. And the gifts that come from cultivating more compassion and love for myself, continue to greet me daily.
If you’re interested in learning more about how this practice might enhance your life and emotional well-being, I strongly encourage you to join me at one of my three upcoming Self-Renewal Retreats this spring or summer. A retreat is an opportunity to step away from your fast-paced life and experience an amazing date with yourself (read more on The Power of Retreating).
I hope to visit with you through my blog The Journey or our Live Inside Out Facebook Community. I’d love to hear your comments around the theme of self-care.
P.S. Thanks for sharing this newsletter with your friends. If they sign up this month, they—and you-- will receive a free download on April 19th of Courageous Parents, Confident Kids: Letting Go So You Both Can Grow, an amazing new anthology created by Mojo Mom author Amy Tiemann, featuring twelve award-winning authors.
Upcoming Events and Training:
- March 23 7:30-8:30 p.m., CST. FREE Live Inside Out class via telephone with Renee Trudeau. Theme: Owning Your Personal Power. Join author/life coach Renee Trudeau and women from around the world in a "virtual living room" as we explore how to live life from the inside-out. Register and receive details here.
- March 26 9:00 a.m-3:00 p.m. Refresh & Renew Mini Self-Care Retreat with Renee Trudeau at The Crossings Spa and Resort; cost: $175. A perfect Birthday or Mother’s Day gift to give or receive. View the flyer here. Make a date with yourself today!
- April 10 9:30 a.m. - Noon
The Career Strategy Workshop: Find a Fit, Create a Plan, Love Your Work at
St Edwards University. A small, dynamic group-coaching workshop focused on helping you strategically map out your next steps and find work that is a “fit” for you. **BONUS** register by March 15 and receive a free DIY Job Search Toolkit (a $99 value). Class size is limited. CLICK HERE to register online. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- April 23-25 Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: A Woman’s Self-Renewal Retreat. Join us for an amazing weekend designed to nurture and nourish your body, mind and soul at The Crossings Spa & Resort. Led by Renee Trudeau. Ideal for women in career/life transition. Commuter options available. Download flyer here. Details/register here.
- August 13-15 Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance (with Renee Trudeau). Kripalu Retreat Center - Lennox, MA (The Berkshires). Click here for details and to register.
- Are you a coach, parent educator, birthing professional, counselor or women's empowerment advocate who wants to grow their business and loves helping women nurture their emotional well-being? Learn more about becoming a PRG Facilitator and join an international community of leaders who are changing women's lives through powerful life coaching groups centered around The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal.
- Did you know Renee travels around the world speaking to corporations, organizations and at national conferences on life balance, self-renewal (and other related topics)? Learn more about having Renee speak at your next event, workshops or conference. We're scheduling 2010 events now.
- Visit our online calendar to learn about upcoming self-renewal retreats and events.