We’re at a unique and unprecedented time in history. And my observation is that it’s challenging all of us to slow down a bit and hit the pause button as we re-examine our life and career direction.
One of the things that I most enjoy about my job is the opportunity to travel around the world and speak at conferences/workshops to men and women of all ages about the topic of life balance.
One of the questions I often get (after I answer “what is it?” and “how do I find it?”) is why is this topic so huge right now? Pick up any national publication—from Fast Company to Real Simple-- and you’ll find frequent references to balance.
I believe the convergence of six factors have brought this issue to the forefront, including:
· 9/11 and other acts of terrorism—how people view life/work/family time changed forever after this tragedy
· 68% of all families are now dual-income
· parenting our parents and the sandwich generation (caring for your parents and your kids)
· a volatile and uncertain economic and employment climate
· digital overload: we've become a 24/7 culture, it’s difficult to “unplug”
· globalization: working at “off hours” and living farther from family support
(Read more here about my strategies/insights for enhancing life balance from the inside-out.)
I share this perspective, not to elicit stress, but to encourage you to be gentle with yourself and realize how much is going on right now for all of us--collectively and individually.
Your July Self-Care Challenge: One of the most powerful ways to nurture yourself and help you feel more grounded is to get clear on what your self-care “non-negotiables” are. For some, it may be in the physical realm—8 hours of sleep a night, running three times a week, only eating out once a week—and for others it may be in the emotional or spiritual area— meditation/prayer every morning, a date with your partner every two weeks, scheduled time for play this summer, journaling before you go to bed at night or a weekly painting class. This month I challenge you to pause. Notice what things consistently fuel and replenish you. And then carve out some time to share your top three self-care non-negotiables with someone close to you.Or, email us, we’d love to hear what feeds you at email@example.com.
FREE Personal Renewal Group (PRG) Self-Care Teleclass: Would you like some support in coming up with your top three self-care non-negotiables and are you interested in being in a community with others who want to focus on reconnecting with who they are? Listen to this recent PRG Sampler Class that I led for women around the world and join us in September (date TBA) for our FREE monthly class via telephone. Sign up here to register.
Take good care--Renee
P.S. Interested in hearing weekly tips on how to Live Inside Out or want to share your thoughts with our larger community? Post your thoughts on my blog, The Journey and join us on our Live Inside Out Facebook Fan page!
Upcoming Events and Training:
Summer 2009: LIVE INSIDE OUT Campaign Launches!
Join the revolution, learn more
about how to live intentionally. And, join us in September in our global livingroom for a Personal Renewal Group
Sampler class led by Renee Trudeau. We’ll start with Chapter One in The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal. Order your copy now
, and register here
to join us.
- July 1st --31st: Listen to the recent Personal Renewal Group *Sampler Class* on The Transformative Power of Self-Care here. A great opportunity to share this message with your friends. Listen together or start/join a Personal Renewal Group in your community.
- July 23: 6:00 - 8:30 pm, Finding Your "Career Mojo": A Workshop for Professionals in Career Transition (Austin, TX) Empowering, supportive, resource-packed and led by national career/life-balance expert Renee Trudeau. Strategically map out your next steps, gain clarity and focus and find work that is a “fit” for you. Register by July 10th and receive a DIY Job Search Toolkit (a $99 value). Click here for more details.
- October 2-4: Women's Self-Renewal Retreat with Renee Trudeau at The Crossings for women in career or life transition. Don't miss this life-changing retreat and opportunity to de-stress, reflect and refresh. Learn more or register online here.
- Are you a therapist, coach, doula or women's empowerment advocate who loves supporting women and helping them nurture their emotional well-being? Learn more about becoming a PRG Facilitator and join a national community of leaders who are changing women's lives through powerful life coaching groups centered around The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal.
- Did you know Renee travels around the world speaking to corporations, organizations and at national conferences on Creating Balance from the Inside Out (and other related topics)? Learn more about having Renee speak at your next event, workshops or conference. We're scheduling fall events now.
- Visit our online calendar to learn about upcoming self-renewal retreats and events.