"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
My 42-year old brother Kert recently sold his beautiful newly remodeled Austin home and all of his belongings to go and live on a kibbutz in central Israel where he is studying sustainable farming and receiving master-level Qigong training (a Chinese meditative practice that uses breath/movement to move energy in your body).
Kert is a former highly successful international software project management consultant who worked for years with companies such as NASA, Amazon.com and Citibank.
During his travels abroad, he plans to meet his good friend Lisa—a gifted 40-year old music therapy teacher, musician and macrobiotic chef who also just unloaded her possessions to travel in South America and Europe and perform with her band Just Desserts—in Europe.
Abandoning mortgages, car payments, 9-5 jobs and our 24/7 culture, they have chosen highly unconventional paths. (And yes, I know, they don’t have kids.)
My point is that we always have a choice when it comes to how we set up our lives (read more about my choices).
We’re at a unique point in history (read about this). More and more, men and women around the U.S. are questioning the decisions they’ve made about how they spend their money, time, energy as well as how/where they work and live.
Are you living the life you’ve always wanted? Do you feel like you’re the master of your life or the slave to it? Does how you spend your time reflect where your priorities lie or do you feel like your life is a list of “should’s”?
Here are some questions for you (and if applicable, your partner) to consider:
- What do you value most in life right now (ex: time, relationships, flexibility, a short commute, your community)?
- Where does the majority of your energy go on a daily basis (work, household management, relationships, parenting, spiritual renewal, your to-do list)?
- Does your life feel a)overwhelming, b)barely manageable, c)occasionally hectic or d)pretty simple? (Check out these great tips for simplifying.)
- If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing that would significantly impact your quality of life, what would it be?
- What are three actions you could take right now to radically simplify your life and create more space, ease and flow in your day-to-day experience?
PERSONAL CHALLENGE: Carve out 30 minutes this month to sit down and quietly reflect on and answer the questions above (and encourage your partner to do the same). Get clear on what is most important to you at this life stage. And, then ask yourself if you’re ready and willing to make the choice needed to support you in creating the life you really desire. And, if you’re not, be gentle with yourself. Baby steps, always.
Three things that are key in my life are 1)creating opportunities for unscheduled time, 2)having lots of time to play and 3)feeling a sense of ease and flow to my days (at least most of the time!). And, my partner and I have had to make a lot of conscious choices to support this lifestyle, including saying “no” quite often.
There is a difference between making a choice and making a hard choice. Living a life you love is not a luxury—it’s your birthright. Now is the time. Go do what you must do.
P.S. Want an opportunity to clear your head and tap into your true needs and desires? Join like-minded women from around the world October 2-4 at my Fall Self-Renewal Retreat at The Crossings Spa and Retreat Center. Also, receive ongoing support for creating a life you love by checking out our Live Inside Out initiative and join our LIO Facebook page or following me on Twitter.
Upcoming Events and Training:
- Summer 2009: LIVE INSIDE OUT Campaign Launches!
Join the LIVE INSIDE OUT revolution and learn strategies and ideas on how to live more intentionally every day.
- FREE DOWNLOAD THIS MONTH: Listen to the July Personal Renewal Group *Sampler Class* on The Transformative Power of Self-Care here. A great opportunity to share this message with your friends. Listen together or start/join a Personal Renewal Group in your community.
- August 28th The Empowered Entrepreneur workshop led by nationally recognized business/life balance coach Renee Trudeau. 9:00 a.m. - Noon. Location: Mexican American Cultural Center, Austin, TX, Early bird rate: $99. REGISTER HERE.
- Sept. 17th from 7-8 p.m. CST: FREE Personal Renewal Group Sampler class led by Renee Trudeau and based on The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal. September Theme: Reconnecting with Who You Are. Order your copy now and register here to join us.
- Are you a therapist, coach, doula or women's empowerment advocate who loves supporting women and helping them nurture their emotional well-being? Learn more about becoming a PRG Facilitator and join a national community of leaders who are changing women's lives through powerful life coaching groups centered around The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal.
- Did you know Renee travels around the world speaking to corporations, organizations and at national conferences on Creating Balance from the Inside Out (and other related topics)? Learn more about having Renee speak at your next event, workshops or conference. We're scheduling fall events now.
- Visit our online calendar to learn about upcoming self-renewal retreats and events. We're scheduling 2010 events now.