Do you think most people are more afraid of success or failure?
Surprisingly, most of us rarely feel comfortable shining brightly—of letting others see our brilliance, our gifts and our unique talents. Why is this?
My coaching team and I regularly meet clients who feel held back in their lives and careers due to insecurities, inadequacies or fears of how others will perceive them.
They often worry that if they speak their minds or score big accomplishments, their friends will say, “Who does she think she is?” They often fear that if they break away from the pack, they will be ostracized in some way. So they stay safe, play small and never really tap into or express their full potential—or personal power, as I like to call it.
When you begin to access and own your power, you align with your life purpose and authentic self. And you express all that you were meant to be.
Many of us jump in and out of, dance around or maybe dip a toe into our “pool of power”—occasionally experiencing a moment of enlightenment but then retreating again to the safety of obscurity.
Standing in your personal power takes time, practice and courage. Here are some ways you can get started:
• Find your voice. When you disagree with what is being presented, do you remain quiet? Speak your mind and express how you really feel.
• Make your self-care a priority. This is one of the best ways to send a message to yourself that you are worthy. Nurture yourself physically, emotionally, spiritually and mentally.
• Stop caring what others think. You’ll be working on this your whole life. Imagine who you would be or what you would do if you didn’t care what others thought of you!
• Become comfortable using your masculine and feminine strengths. We all have both. Living powerfully comes from the ability to balance both energies—being assertive vs. receptive, and driving for results vs. letting things unfold.
• Practice being more direct and more assertive in your communication with others. Notice how people respond to the way you communicate. Do you feel good about how you state your needs and desires and communicate with others?
• Break away from the pack. If you’d rather go for a hike than go see a movie with the gang—listen to your needs. Don’t just go along with what everyone else wants.
• Let your light shine. Most of us are more afraid of our own light than of our own shadow. Let others see your talents and gifts. Don’t hold back.
• Become financially savvy. Creating your own nest egg, managing a household or business budget and developing a financial plan can be empowering and liberating!
• Stop settling. What do you really, really want? Stop settling. The more comfortable you become owning your power, the easier it becomes to connect to your needs and desires. (If you’re settling in your career, consider joining me for our Saturday, April 10th Career Strategy Workshop in Texas).
I challenge you this month to find at least one opportunity where you can be true to yourself and let your light shine. As Marianne Williamson shares, “when we let our light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.”
If you’re interested in learning more about how to own your personal power, I strongly encourage you to join me at one of my two upcoming Self-Renewal Retreats this spring or summer. A retreat is an opportunity to step away from your fast-paced life and experience an amazing date with yourself (read more on The Power of Retreating).
I hope to visit with you through my blog The Journey or our Live Inside Out Facebook Community. I’d love to hear your comments around the theme of owning your personal power.
P.S. FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD 4/19! Thanks for sharing this newsletter with your friends; if they sign up this month, they—and you-- will receive a free download on April 19th of Courageous Parents, Confident Kids: Letting Go So You Both Can Grow, an amazing new anthology featuring twelve award-winning authors, including yours truly. This powerful new anthology was created by my friend/author Amy Tiemann.
Upcoming Events and Training:
- April 10 9:30 a.m. - Noon
The Career Strategy Workshop: Find a Fit, Create a Plan, Love Your Work, Austin, TX. A small, dynamic, interactive workshop focused on helping you strategically map out your next steps and find work that is a “fit” for you. **BONUS** register by April 5th and receive a free DIY Job Search Toolkit (a $99 value). Class size is limited; register by 4/7 to ensure a spot. CLICK HERE to register online. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- April 15 7:30-8:30 p.m., CST. FREE Live Inside Out class via telephone with Renee Trudeau. Theme: Unleashing Your Creativity. Join author/life coach Renee Trudeau and women from around the world in a "virtual living room" as we explore how to live life from the inside-out. Register and receive details here.
- April 23-25 Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: A Woman’s Self-Renewal Retreat. Join us for an amazing weekend designed to nurture and nourish your body, mind and soul at The Crossings Spa & Resort. Led by Renee Trudeau. Ideal for women in career/life transition. Commuter options available. Download flyer here. Details/register here.
- August 13-15 Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance: Reflect, Reclaim, Re-Balance (with Renee Trudeau). Kripalu Retreat Center - Lennox, MA (The Berkshires). Click here for details and to register.
- Are you a coach, parent educator, birthing professional, counselor or women's empowerment advocate who wants to grow their business and loves helping women nurture their emotional well-being? Learn more about becoming a PRG Facilitator and join an international community of leaders who are changing women's lives through powerful life coaching groups centered around The Mother's Guide to Self-Renewal.
- Did you know Renee travels around the world speaking to corporations, organizations and at national conferences on life balance, self-renewal (and other related topics)? Learn more about having Renee speak at your next event, workshops or conference. We're scheduling 2010 events now.
- Visit our online calendar to learn about upcoming self-renewal retreats and events.