While leading a life-mapping workshop for seasoned small business owners, I was visiting with two long-time entrepreneurs who both shared they were getting signs it was time to let their business go. They were ready to harness and redirect their energy towards “what’s next.” But, easier said than done. Both have spent years and a good chunk of change investing in their brands and felt torn around the idea of quitting, even if they knew it was the right thing to do (check out this NPR podcast on the upside of quitting).
Are you getting signs that it’s time to let go, move on and embrace something new?
Perhaps things you used to do (in your life, at work or in a relationship) no longer work and need to change? I invite you to take a deep breath, dig deep, grab a journal/pen and consider the following:
1. What is most important to me at my current life stage (what do I most value or want more of)?
2. Who or what in my life am I avoiding (perhaps it’s getting your financial house, marriage, job search or health in order)?
3. What am I refusing to see or hear about my life or career–what is my life trying to tell me (hint: look at what’s not working)?
4. If I asked my Wise Self (read more) where I should be focusing my energy NEXT, what would he/she say?
Finally, invite in curiosity, compassion, ask for support from trusted friends and know that just because the veil has been lifted, doesn’t mean you have to rush to action. Reflect on what is being revealed and thoughtfully consider your next steps. We’re all doing the best we can where we are. Let me know how I can help; we’re all in this together.
I’D LOVE TO SUPPORT YOU–THREE UPCOMING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Retreats are ideal if you’re in transition and exploring, “What’s next?” and/or if you’re seeking soulful connection with like-minded women in an empowering and deeply supportive environment. Join me this fall for two restorative women’s self-renewal retreats. I’ll be in MA Sept. 21-23 and in CA Oct. 26-28; learn more.
- Craving authentic community and want to find (or create) your tribe? Learn more about our global sisterhood of RTA-Certified Facilitators and empower/support women in your community! More here on how to become a RTA-Certified Facilitator and join our inner circle ($100 off through 8/31; includes private coaching with me).
- Asking, “What’s next?” on your career path and seeking high-level, strategic mentoring/coaching? Check out our 18 year-old sister company Career Strategists and email info at careerstratgists dot net for a free initial phone consult.
Subscribe here to Live Inside Out, a weekly blog written by life balance coach/author/speaker Renée Peterson Trudeau. Passionate about helping men and women experience balance through the art/science of self-care, her work has appeared in The New York Times, Good Housekeeping, US News & World Report, Spirituality & Health and more. Thousands of women in ten countries are becoming RTA-Certified Facilitators and leading/joining self-renewal groups based on her award-winning self-care curriculum. She is the author of three books on life balance and mindfulness including the award-winning The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal. She lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and 16-year-old son. More on her background here.