At a recent workshop for seasoned small business owners, I was visiting with two long-time entrepreneurs who both shared they were getting signs it was time to let their business go. They were ready to harness and redirect their energy towards “what’s next.” But, easier said than done. Both have spent years and a good chunk of change investing in their brands and felt torn around the idea of quitting, even if they knew it was the right thing to do (check out this great NPR podcast on the upside of quitting).
Are you getting signs that it’s time to let go, move on and embrace something new?
Maybe you’ve been navigating a tough time and there’s something in your life, work/business or relationship you’re avoiding or not seeing? I invite you to put on your big girl (or boy) panties, grab a journal/pen and consider the following:
1. What is most important to me at my current life stage (what do I most value or want more of)?
2. Who or what in my life am I avoiding (perhaps it’s getting your financial house, marriage, job search or health in order)?
3. What am I refusing to see or hear about my life or career–what is my life trying to tell me (hint: look at what’s not working)?
4. If I asked my Wise Self (read more) where I should be focusing my energy NEXT, what would he/she say?
Finally, invite in curiosity, compassion, ask for support from trusted friends and know that just because the veil has been lifted, doesn’t mean you have to rush to action. Reflect on what is being revealed and thoughtfully consider what your next course of action is. We’re all doing the best we can where we are. Let me know how I can help; we’re all in this together.
I’D LOVE TO SUPPORT YOU RIGHT NOW:
- Attend one of my self-renewal retreats and receive high-level support, mentoring and explore new ways of being. Psst–self-employed and live in Texas? Don’t miss www.UnleashedATX.com Sept. 15 at McKinney Roughs Nature Area.
- Schedule me to speak in 2018 to your organization, company or team on work-life effectiveness, stress management, mindfulness & resiliency. Learn more.
- Explore the idea of facilitating or joining our Personal Renewal Groups for women (in 10 countries worldwide); becoming a RTA-Certified Facilitator can be a great way to transition to a new career field, find community and learn the art of self-care.
Subscribe here to Live Inside Out, a weekly blog written by life balance speaker/author and Career Strategists president, Renée Peterson Trudeau. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, Good Housekeeping, Spirituality & Health and more. Thousands of women in ten countries are becoming RTA-Certified Facilitators and leading/joining Personal Renewal life coaching groups based on her award-winning curriculum. She is the author of The Mother’s Guide to Self-Renewal and Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life. She lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and 15 year-old son. More on her background here.