Last week I received some alarming news about a close friend. Afterwards, I felt anxious, jumpy and unsettled. My brain was so flooded with stress hormones, I felt paralyzed and was struggling to remember any of my self-care tools!
Stress can interfere with cognition, focus, problem-solving, memory and mood. When we reach the point of complete overwhelm we need to pause, breathe, get out of our heads and re-set.
The fastest way to do this is through somatic practices (somatic = engaging the wisdom of the body).
Here are the things I do (and advise my clients, family and friends to do) when I need to feel good FAST:
- Try earthing. Science is showing that reconnecting with the earth’s electrons can have enormous physiological and psychological benefits. I recommend lying on your belly on a blanket outside for at least 15 minutes, ideally longer.
- Lower anxiety and promote good sleep by doing legs up the wall yoga posture. Usually 10-15 minutes is all you need. Many report feeling like a new person after this nervous system regulating pose. It’s an easy and amazingly effective re-set!
- Walk around the block. I’m a huge fan of micro-dosing self-care. You don’t need to power walk or run a marathon to feel the benefits of moving. Pick a new route, unplug and take a 15-20 minute jaunt. Breathe in the fresh air, listen to the sounds of nature and imagine your worries being released through the soles of your feet as you hit the trail.
- Shake it off. Trauma specialist Dr. James Gordon has found 5 minutes of vigorous body shaking (or dancing which we’ll do a lot of at my April 14-16 retreat at Kripalu!) can generate long-lasting relief from stress and trauma. Read about his research.
After earthing in my backyard for a bit and then walking around my neighborhood with a friend, I could feel my body let go and my mind begin to settle and relax. The issues are in the tissues. When we remember how interwoven our minds and bodies are and make the choice to course correct and do something different, we can find healing and release. Move a muscle, change a thought.
Do you live in North Carolina, want to visit or have friends/family in this gorgeous state? We moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains in 2020 full-time and I have been creating/facilitating magical Western North Carolina-based nature/mindfulness experiences designed to reconnect you to wilderness and yourself. Learn more and keep checking this regional NC page for updates. Be the first to learn about NC offerings: email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to my mailing list!
HOW CAN I SUPPORT YOU? HERE ARE THREE OPPORTUNITIES:
- April 14-16 ~ Awakening Your Wild Soul: Women’s Self-Renewal Retreat at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, will be filled with beautiful multidimensional experiences to help you gain clarity on your purpose and remember who you really are. Packages start at just $635. This retreat will be wonderfully intimate. Almost full! Learn more.
- Check out my books and self-paced online retreats~ Susan shared, “Thank you so much for all of your amazing work. I find your blog/newsletters, books, and retreats to be so powerful and spot-on in terms of what I need to hear! Bravo Renee, this virtual retreat was amazing!” Check out our award-winning life balance audio classes and books–available 24/7 to enjoy from the comfort of your home, car, or bathtub! Starting at $49. Learn more.
- Wild Souls Nature Adventures (based in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC): authentic movement classes, community song circles, full moon hikes, meditation workshops, women’s circles & more. New offerings listed each week; have me design a custom experience for your team/friends. Join us 3/26 for Wild Souls Authentic Movement Learn more.